BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE
(Created from the Transcript, not from Foodtv.com)
|1 gallon water
Salt to taste
2 cups regular elbow macaroni
- Salt water and boil macaroni for exactly 6 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
12 oz. Grated Sharp Cheddar
3 Tbs. Butter
3 Tbs. All Purpose Flour
1 Tbs. Dry Mustard Powder
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 cup Chopped Onions
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3 Cups Whole Milk
4 Tbs. Butter, Melted
1 cup Japanese (Panko) bread
crumbs (or 2 cups of coarsely
chopped seasoned salad
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter in large skillet or 2nd pot until it stops foaming.
- Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Let cook on low heat until it turns a blond color, 2 to 3 minutes
- Add mustard, paprika, onions, bay leaf and salt and whisk until it forms a paste
- Slowly add milk and continue to whisk until it begins to boil and thickens
- Remove the bay leaf
- Temper the egg by adding 1-2 Tbs. of the milk mixture, stir
- Stir the egg mixture back to the milk mixture
- Add 3/4 (9 oz.) of the cheese
- Once the cheese is worked in, fold in the rinsed noodles
- Pour into a 2 quart round or oval casserole dish
- Top with remaining cheese
- Mix bread crumbs into melted butter and top casserole
- Bake for 30 minutes then rest for 5 minutes.
STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE
Salt 1 Gallon Boiling Water
1/2 Pound Elbow Macaroni
4 Tbs. Butter
CHEESE & CREAM MIXTURE
6 oz. Evaporated Milk
1/2 tsp. Hot Sauce
3/4 tsp. Dry Mustard
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
Fresh Black Pepper to taste
10 oz. Shredded Cheese
- Salt water and boil macaroni to al dente
- Drain and return to pot
- Add butter and stir to melt
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, mustard, salt and pepper
- Stir egg mixture into the pasta and add the cheese
- Continue to cook over low heat for about 3 minutes or until creamy
NEXT DAY MAC AND CHEESE "TOAST"
|Leftover mac and cheese
refrigerated and cut into slices
(approx. 4" x 1" or to suit)
Salt (to taste)
Hot Pepper Sauce (to taste)
- Preheat peanut oil in a large pot to 375°
- Mix flour, salt and cayenne pepper
- Have flour mixture, egg and bread crumbs in three separate containers.
- Turn mac and cheese slice over in flour mixture, tap to remove excesses
- Then dip in egg
- Then lay in bread crumbs and cover on top and sides (use your other hand to prevent the club-hand
- Using a spider (or other device), lower into hot oil
- Fry until golden brown
- Lay on rack which is over a baking sheet and allow to rest.
- Salt and hot pepper sauce as desired