Good Eats Season #5 Quiz
What do you remember about the
5th season? Here's 4 questions per episode.
Your Quiz Taker
2. In what type water should you always "bloom" gelatin?
3. Useless bit of trivia here: Alton finds Victoriana molds really ...
4. Ingenious! Before Alton turns the gelatin mold out onto a plate, he does what
to the plate to allow him to move the mold around on it?
Spritzes it with water
Applies a layer of plastic wrap
Spreads a little oil around
Warms it up a little
5. Okay, Scotsmen: According to Alton, who said this, "Aye, which is why
in England you'll raise fine horses, while in Scotland we'll
raise fine peepul."
Alfred Lord Tennyson
Mary, Queen of Scots
6. Scots stir their oats with what?
7. Want your oats to be chewy and taste a little nutty like brown rice?
Then just remove the outer hull to get a whole oat called ...
... hulled oats.
... Scotch oats.
8. Which statement about soluble fiber is true?
Makes you feel fuller, longer
Moves quickly through the body
Won't dissolve in water
Speeds up the absorption of glucose
9. When Alton calls Shirley she answers for what hotline?
Suicidal Chef's Hotline
Corriher Crepe Hotline
Shirley's Helpful Hint-line
Faux French Hotline
10. Say, how do they get Teflon to stick to a pan if Teflon doesn't stick
Special bonding adhesive like super-glue
Most of the pan is Teflon
Primer containing Teflon
Very small nuts and bolts
11. Ah, the French. What's the most popular crepe filling over there?
12. A duxelles (proun: dook-SEHL) is paste of what two items?
(Hint: There are no ducks in it.)
Garlic and Celery
Mushrooms and Onions
Tomato Paste and Béchamel
Ducks and Shells
13. Geez. It's hard to find questions for this episode. Uh, okay. Here's one.
From best to worst, which is the right order for beef?
Prime, Select, Choice
Choice, Prime, Select
Prime, Choice, Select
Select, Prime, Choice
14. Wait? What's this? You get the best cut of meat but it's not really the
"best"? Which 'end' should your best rib roast come from?
The loin end
The tenderloin end
The rib end
The sirloin end
15. Let me get this straight: you dry age meat by just letting it sit around
in the fridge? Oh, you have to have certain conditions? What are those?
Temp from 30 to 34 degrees, humidity around 60%, no air circulation
Temp from 36 to 38 degrees, humidity around 50%, no air circulation
Temp from 30 to 34 degrees, humidity around 60%, air circulation
Temp from 36 to 38 degrees, humidity around 50%, air circulation
16. What did Alton find in his brother's old oven?
His food processor
17. Which one of these fine folks was not a potential opponent for Alton Brown?
18. 70% of the bacon eaten in the United States is eaten ...
in the South.
19. Bacon comes from a German word meaning what?
20. The whole reason for drying food before you smoke it is why?
21. You know eggplants have a calyx, right? No, not K-Pax, the movie. Calyx.
It's the "the outer whorl of a flower consisting of sepals." In other words
it's that thing at the end of the eggplant. Now that we have that out of the
way, what color should it be if you want a good, fresh eggplant from the
22. Which contains more seeds, according to Alton? (Seeds being a bad
tasting thing in this case.)
23. Eggplants are classified as a ...
24. Which early American politician is often credited with planting the first
eggplants in America?
25. Alton's a betting man. And I quote, "I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10
cheesecake failures stem from the fact that cooks expect cheesecake to ..."
... act like cake.
... be smooth and creamy.
... to be made of mostly cheese.
... be perfect the first time.
26. Cream cheese was created in 1872 by a New York dairyman attempting
to recreate what soft, unripened cheese?
27. What does Alton put into his one-piece pan with to make cheesecake
He doesn't. He uses a Teflon pan.
28. To make cutting the cheesecake easier, what's something you should not do?
Use a very thin knife
Add a little canola oil to the knife's blade
Heat the knife in hot water
Push it straight down for each cut
29. What year was 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea released?
30. What's the only true bone a squid's got in his body?
31. Wok hey, the flavor of the wok. You get it from ...
... stainless steel wok.
... an acidic ingredient such as tomatoes or lemon juice.
... high heat.
... a sauce based on soy sauce.
32. Oops. Your squid got tough during cooking. Is there anyway to fix it?
Continue cooking on high heat. It will eventually get tender again.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for more than 10 minutes.
Add some meat tenderizer to the wok.
Nope. It's toast. Go straight to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.
33. What's that chocolatier's name who came up with the "Dutch Process"?
Conrad Van Houten
34. What technique does Alton use to get his brownies out of the pan?
Leaves Them In There To Finish Cooking
The Two Flip Mambo
A Parchment Paper Sling
35. Daniel Peter of Switzerland is credited with the original recipe for milk
chocolate in what year?
36. You watch the show, but do you read the transcripts. If you have, you'll
know the answer to this question: what's the Mexican hot chocolate
stirring stick called?
37. This is going to really tax your brain. What is Kobocha squash really good
for, according to Good Eats.
38. The Mexican favorite, Pepitas, are usually roasted and salted seeds from
39. Canned pumpkin was introduced in what year?
40. What does Alton use as a shield from hot splattering food while using
his stick blender?
A Tin Plate
A Paper Plate
41. Which early American father devised a macaroni extruder?
John Quincy Adams
42. Why doesn't Alton like metal for his casseroles?
They scratch easily.
They usually have square corners.
They conduct heat very well.
43. What does "cheddar" refer to?
The process by which said cheese is made.
The location of where said cheese is made.
The class of which said cheese falls into.
The age of which said cheese ages to.
44. Macaroni and Cheese is which president's favorite dinner?
45. Clams are commensal organisms. Er ... okay. What the heck does that
mean (according to Good Eats)?
They live in communities.
They're filter feeders.
They have two shells.
They live in the sand.
46. Put these in the correct order from smallest to largest:
Littlenecks, Middlenecks, Cherrystones, Top necks
Middlenecks, Littlenecks, Top necks, Cherrystones
Littlenecks, Middlenecks, Top necks, Cherrystones
Cherrystones, Top necks, Middlenecks, Littlenecks
47. What's the best thing to keep clams in when storing in the fridge?
Chipped or Shaved Ice. Not ice cubes.
Fresh water with some corn meal added.
5% solution of salt water.
Nothing. Just cover with a wet towel.
48. What's Manhattan style clam chowder have in it that makes it different
from New England kind?
49. Were you paying attention? Frances Anderson sure seems to have a lot
of Alton's stuff she purchased from his prop guys. Which one didn't we see?
50. What does Alton get to slice the cooked Red Bliss potatoes?
51. In 1995, what claim-to-fame did the potato achieve?
Surpassed rice as the number one vegetable grown in the world.
A 7 lb. 1 oz potato was grown, a Guinness Record.
First vegetable grown in space.
Became one of the first vegetables to enter the newly created Culinary Hall of Fame.
52. Wow, another founding father's question right here in quiz #5. Last
question: which president introduced French fries to the White House?
Answers Will Be Displayed Here
Last Edited on