Georgia BSA Map
Another Show List
The Family Tree
ALTON BROWN PAGES
AB Articles & Interviews
AB In Pictures
My Interview with AB
Errors in I'm Just Here For More Food
Georgia's State Flags,
Home of Good Eats
Good Eats Season #3 Quiz
Were you paying attention? 56
questions to follow to test your flabby brain muscle.
Your Quiz Taker
1. Who said, “"On a hot day in Virginia I can think of nothing more
comforting than a fine spiced pickle brought up trout-like from
the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar kept below the stairs of
Aunt Sally's cellar?”
2. According to Alton, which vinegar “doesn't really have a flavor
of its own, just a subtle sweetness and a very low acidity?
Rice Wine Vinegar
3. How long will it take a bottle of vinegar to lose its flavor once
4. The word "kosher" added to a pickle means that what has been
added to the brine?
5. Mussels like to ...
Attach to whatever it can
Dig into a sandy sea bottom
Either attach to whatever it can or lay on top of a sandy sea bottom
Hop around on top of the sea bottom
6. What is a mussel's “spat”?
7. How many gallons of water can a mussel filter a day?
8. Kept moist and cold, mussels can live how long out of water?
9. Before 1600, “custard” referred to a pie’s what?
10. The temperature where an egg’s proteins curdle is ...
11. What do the French call “flan?”
Custard De Lait
12. What does an eggs "chalazae" do?
Keep bacteria out
Protect the yolk from sudden jolt
Keep the yolk in the center of the egg
Help develop the proteins during cooking
13. Ducks have a high percentage of what kind of musculature?
14. Which ducks are very lean and very gamy?
15. Which method will thaw foods quicker?
Sitting in a 200° F oven
Sitting in a pot of 60° F water
In a pot of boiling water just off the heat
Sitting under cold running tap water
16. Which is NOT correct about cooking with steam?
It is gentler than boiling with water
Is hotter than cooking with water
More efficient than air
Won’t wash away seasonings
17. It turns out that “W” is really a what?
18. What is the metal alloy that was invented by Albert Marsh that
could stand the repeated heating in toasters?
19. The word “hash,” from the French word 'hacher', means what?
20. What is “stock” always made with?
21. In what year did Nestle develop chocolate morsels?
22. What does baking soda reduce thus raising the temperature at
which batter sets?
23. A high white to brown sugar ratio in a cookie adds to its what?
24. Molasses is the liquid that remains after sugar crystals have
been extracted from concentrated what?
25. In the production of maple syrup, what is a a “spile” used for?
Determining sugar content in the molasses
Moving boiling sap from one tier to another
It's the bucket that collects maple sap
Draining maple sap into a bucket
26. Which is correct? Maple sap only runs when the ...
... mercury rises above freezing during the day but falls below
freezing at night
... mercury stays below freezing during the day
... mercury stays above freezing for more than three days
... mercury stays below freezing for more than three days
27. A great majority of pancake fatalities result from ...
Adding too much flour
28. To best way to integrate buttermilk, butter, and eggs is to ...
... mix eggs with buttermilk, then add butter
... mix buttermilk with butter, then add egg whites, then add
... mix egg white with butter, then mix egg yolk with buttermilk,
then mix all together
... mix egg white with buttermilk, then mix egg yolk with butter,
then mix all together
29. Two cups of cold, heavy cream will make about how much butter?
30. Salt is added to butter for what reason?
31. Grading of butter is NOT based on what aspect of the butter?
32. What’s the bad ‘stuff’ in margarine that makes it potentially
33. According to Alton, the flour that will give you that “extra
little something” for making pizza dough is ...
Bread Machine Flour
34. Which yeast is best for pizza?
Active dry yeast
Rapid rise yeast
35. In 1991, a Florida Pizzeria owner made a pizza how big?
10,000 square feet
12,000 square feet
15,000 square feet
20,000 square feet
36. Why do pizza guys toss and spin pizzas?
Because it looks cool
To stretch the pizza out
It creates gluten
They have to
37. Alton misspoke up when he said Jacob traded his birthright for
a plate of lentils. Who was it really? (I’m a Bible major so I have
to set the record straight. :)
38. What is the chemical compound in beans that can’t be digested
and thus produce “tummy music”?
39. What do you need to add to beans to keep them from falling
Sugar and Calcium
Sugar and Salt
Calcium and Salt
Calcium, Sugar and Salt
40. Where does the “Dutch” part of “Dutch oven” refer to?
41. Poaching refers to what cooking method?
Cooking in a liquid just under the simmer
Cooking at a low temperature
Cooking with eggs and milk
42. What three components make up "court bouillon"?
Milk or Cream, Salt, Aromatic Vegetables
Acidic Liquid, Salt, Herbs
Acidic Liquid, Aromatic Vegetables, Herbs
Milk or Cream, Tomatoes, Acidic Liquid
43. What’s the perfect internal temperature for fish?
44. How much moisture has been removed from evaporated milk?
45. What’s not a term for the subject of this episode?
46. What’s the big difference between a marinade and a brine?
Brine refers to a salty liquid. Marinades always have an acid.
Brine refers to a liquid with acid in it. Marinades don’t contain an acid.
Brines contain herbs. Marinade don’t.
Brine refers to a salt/sugar liquid. Marinades never have sugar.
47. According to “W” and the Narrator, which is NOT something
you’d look for in a blender.
48. The first manufactured soy food in the U.S. was ...
49. One of the cabbage varieties, kohlrabi, comes from which
50. Which chlorophyll is bright blue-green?
51. What’s released into the air that smells like rotten eggs when
you cook cabbage too long?
52. What’s the best kind of oil to rub your wood cutting board
Food-Grade Mineral Oil
53. What’s that little membrane Alton suggests you cut off of a leg
54. What should you NOT look for in a grill?
A lot of interior space ... increases cooking time
Built in Thermometer ... they’re never accurate
Ash Catcher ... it promotes corrosion
One with a window ... they can break
55. Who is credited with inventing the first charcoal briquette?
56. What’s NOT one of the reasons charcoal chunks are better