Georgia BSA Map
Another Show List
The Family Tree
ALTON BROWN PAGES
AB Articles & Interviews
AB In Pictures
My Interview with AB
Errors in I'm Just Here For More Food
Georgia's State Flags,
Home of Good Eats
Good Eats Season #1 Quiz
What do you remember about the
1st season? Here's 4 questions per episode.
Your Quiz Taker
2. Which is correct about the inspection and grading process of beef?
Inspection of meat is mandatory but grading is voluntary
Inspection of meat is voluntary but grading is mandatory
Both inspection and grading of meat are voluntary
Both inspection and grading of meat are mandatory
3. Your refrigerator should be no warmer than ...
4. Which has the highest smoke point?
Light Olive Oil
6. The Norland or Red Potato is a ...
Low Starch, Waxy Potato
Medium Starch Potato
High Starch, Mealy Potato
Low and Medium Starch Potato
7. Simmer is approximately at what temperature at sea level?
8. A mandoline is good for what?
Making a lot of uniform cuts
Serenading your lover
10. According to the CDC, the odds of getting an egg with salmonella are ...
1 in 500 to 1,000
1 in 1,000 to 2,000
1 in 5,000 to 10,000
1 in 10,000 to 20,000
11. Teflon, an American invention, was first applied to a pan by a(n) ...
12. What is the cardinal rule of egg scrambling?
If it looks cooked in the pan it will be overcooked on the plate
If it looks cooked in the pan it will be cooked on the plate
If it looks undercooked in the pan it will be undercooked on the plate
If the looks like the pan can cook, then the plate can too
14. Lettuce should be stored how?
Loosely on top of paper towels in the coldest part of your fridge
In a plastic bag with as much air removed as possible
In a paper bag to let moisture out but yet protecting the delicate leaves
Left on the head in a dry, cool place out of the sunshine
15. What is used to keep the oil and vinegar from separating
in a vinaigrette?
A really good shake
Salt, preferably kosher
A citrus juice
16. If you don't have kosher salt, how can you substitute table salt
in a Caesar salad?
You really shouldn't
1 to 1 ratio
1 to 1.5, kosher salt to table salt ratio
1 to 2, kosher salt to table salt ratio
18. What weight range is a broiler fryer?
3 to 3 1/2 lbs.
3 1/2 to 4 lbs.
4 to 5 lbs.
5 to 6 lbs.
19. The French concept of "mise en place" is ...
Placing in the middle
Keeping the kitchen clean
Everything has it's place
Measuring exactly to the recipe
20. Gravy is a Jus thickened with what?
22. Which of the following is NOT a reason to add preserves to
You can count it as you would an equal amount of sugar in the recipe
It's a great way to introduce flavor
Small bits of fruit help the dessert to form and harden
Pectin make ices smoother
23. Which dairy product should you NOT use for making ice cream?
Light Whipping Cream
Heavy Whipping Cream
Half & Half
24. The ice cream cone was invented at the 1916 World's Fair
in St. Louis.
26. Which is correct?
Aluminum conducts heat TWICE as good as copper and HALF as good as steel
Aluminum conducts heat AS good as copper and TWICE as good as steel
Aluminum conducts heat TWICE as good as copper and FOUR TIMES as good as steel
Aluminum conducts heat HALF as good as copper and TWICE as good as steel
27. What is the very last step in biscuit making before putting
them into the oven?
Separate them about a finger's width apart
Put a small indention into the top of them
Cover them with aluminum foil
Let them rest for 5 minutes
28. Double acting baking powder has what property?
It only requires half as much as regular baking powder
It produces twice the volume as regular baking powder
It acts twice as fast as regular baking powder
It reacts once when wet, then again when hot
30. Which one of these methods of making a gravy does Alton
recommend because of its easy and time saving qualities?
31. What is one reason that a saucier NOT better for making
sauces than a regular "sauce" pan?
32. What do you get if you add cayenne, gruyere and parmesan
to a béchamel?
34. What is it take makes us cry while cutting onions?
35. Brûlé (pronounced broo-LAY), in French, means what?
36. A "bouquet garni" is what?
A bunch of vegetables tied together
A bunch of herbs tied together
A garnish placed on top of the final dish
The spices added to a simmering stew or soup
38. What is one of the keys to pan frying?
Really hot pan and fat not quite melted yet
Really hot pan and fat completely melted
Allow fish to come to room temperature before frying
Letting it sit still for 10 seconds before moving it around
39. According to French Chefs everywhere, what's the rule
of thumb for the amount of to cook a fish steak?
When the skin starts to separate from the meat
When a meat probe reaches an internal temperature of 145°
About 2 minutes per half pound of fish OR 3 minute per 1 inch of thickness
Until it's done
40. Who said, "Fish & visitors sink after 3 days"?
Ralph W, Emerson
42. Adding salt to your pasta water should be a function of what?
The amount of water
The amount of pasta
The volume of the pot
The elevation above sea level
43. Which one is NOT correct: "The greener the oil the ...
... fruitier the flavor
... higher the acidity
... higher the cost
... fruitier the aroma
44. "Rigata" means what?
46. Due to their popcorn-like fragrance, long grain rices like
basmati and jasmine are called what kind of rices?
47. Nutritionally speaking, which order of rices is in the correct
from worst to best.
Converted -> White -> Brown
White -> Converted -> Brown
Brown -> White -> Par-boiled
Brown -> Converted -> White
48. According to Alton, 1 cup of American Long Grain rice will
cook nicely in how much water?
1 1/2 Cups
1 3/4 Cups
2 1/2 Cups
50. According to Robert Steinberg, what is the most important
part of the chocolate making process?
Selecting the right beans
Roasting the beans to the correct temperature
Grinding the beans to the correct size in the melangéur
Mixing and reheating the chocolate during the conching process to the correct consistency
51. How much more chocolate do the British eat than Americans?
Half as much
Just a little more than
Two times as much
Three times as much
52. What is the magic amount of liquid to chocolate to keep
it from seizing?
1 tablespoon liquid per 2 ounce chocolate, by weight
2 tablespoon liquid per 2 ounce chocolate, by weight
1 teaspoon liquid per 1 ounce chocolate, by weight
1 teaspoon liquid per 2 ounce chocolate, by weight
Answers Will Be Displayed Here