Georgia BSA Map
Another Show List
The Family Tree
ALTON BROWN PAGES
AB Articles & Interviews
AB In Pictures
My Interview with AB
Errors in I'm Just Here For More Food
Georgia's State Flags,
Home of Good Eats
Romancing The Bird Quiz
Wasn't Romancing The Bird a great episode? I hope you weren't sleeping because here are 20 questions.
Your Quiz Taker
2. In what year was the first Thanksgiving?
3. Why didn't the pilgrims have a Thanksgiving meal after the first
It was just a one time deal
War with the Indians
4. Which president finally made the proclamation that
Thanksgiving be the last Thursday in November?
5. Why wasn't there any pie at the first Thanksgiving?
It was against their religion
At this time in history, it wasn't eaten much
Pie really hadn't been invented yet
Flour and butter were not available
6. Which of the following did the pilgrims NOT have at the first
7. In what temperature range is a turkey considered refrigerated?
-5° F to 25° F
1° F to 26° F
1° F to 32° F
10° F to 26° F
8. A "Grade A" Turkey can't have or be what?
Developed Fat Layer
Frozen for longer than 3 months
Above 0° F
9. What percentage of American Homes serve turkey on
10. Which of the following statements is incorrect about
basting a turkey?
It doesn't add flavor to the turkey
It lengthens the cooking time
It doesn't change the texture of the meat
It can introduce bacteria
11. Brining works because ...
... of osmosis
... the salt and flavor sticks to the skin
... it closes down the cell walls to trap in moisture
... it's magic
12. The turkey was introduced to Europe by Spanish
conquistadors returning from 16th century where?
13. Why is stuffing NOT evil?
Adds cooking time and therefore dries the bird
Adds mass to the bird
It harbors bacteria
flavor from the bird
14. A flat rack for the bird is better than a V rack because ...
It has handles
It doesn't squish the bird
It cooks faster
15. Why are the pop-up thermometers that come in turkeys
not a good idea?
By the time it pops up the white meat is dry
The thermometers are known to leak the epoxy which lets the spring pop-up
It's not that accurate and it may pop-up too soon
It adds cost to the bird's price
16. The largest turkey on record weighed how much and was
80 pounds / Kentucky
86 pounds / England
88 pounds / Tennessee
92 pounds / France
17. Why is "low and slow" not the way to go?
It ruins the brine
It can harbor bacteria deep inside the bird
It takes way too long to cook
The fat layer melts and rolls off
18. Which country leads the world in turkey consumption?
19. What does Alton like to use to cover his turkey between
cooking and serving to keep it warm?
Stainless Steel Bowl
He uses the oven set on "warm"
20. How does Alton store his leftover turkey meat?
Wraps it in foil, places it inside a freezer bag and puts it in the
Wraps it in wax paper, places it inside a freezer bag and stores
in the freezer
Wraps it in a paper towel to collect the moisture, places it inside
a paper bag and puts it in the refrigerator
Wraps it in foil, places it inside two freezer bags and puts that in
bottom drawer of the refrigerator